The idea of moving the theological education from Nagyenyed/Aiud to Kolozsvár/Cluj was born in the middle of the 19th century. Domokos Szász, former reformed priest from Kolozsvár/Cluj, and from 1885 bishop of the Transylvanian Reformed Church, was the most prominent supporter of founding the new centre of theological training in Kolozsvár/Cluj. After long debates and preparations, the construction of the new theological institute was completed in 1895. The current study presents the press debates around this event, offering an insight into press articles published in Kolozsvár/Cluj, concentrating mainly on the Erdélyi Híradó (Transylvanian News) a newspaper supporting the party opposing the moving of the theological training to Kolozsvár/Cluj. These articles throw light on the diverging positions regarding this event.